(Last Updated June 14, 2017)
- how and why we collect, use, and sometimes disclose your Personal Information;
- how and when your informed consent will be requested (along with certain exceptions);
- how you can access your Personal Information that we hold; and
- who to contact if you have questions or concerns about your privacy.
Employee Personal Information is also governed by other policies, codes of conduct and agreements.
Not all information that identifies you is considered protected Personal Information. When certain Personal Information, such as your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address, is listed in a public directory, it is not protected by privacy laws. Your business contact information, such as name, title, business address, telephone number and business e-mail address used in relation to your employment or business, is also exempt. Information about you, but which cannot be associated with you as an identifiable individual, is not considered to be Personal Information. For example, information about you that has been de-identified so that it doesn’t identify you as an individual is not Personal Information.
Consent and Your Personal Information
Painted Lemur may need your consent to collect, use or disclose you Personal Information. When it is reasonable in the circumstances, we will imply consent from your actions. For example, if you give us your address we may use it to send you bills or other important notices related to your products and services on the basis that your consent can be reasonably implied.
In other situations, we may need your express consent before we collect, use or disclose your Personal Information. For example, we would get your express consent before using your Personal Information to perform a credit check. Express consent is when you explicitly consent verbally, or by signing a document, or ticking a box or performing a similar act demonstrating your consent.
Sometimes it may be impossible or inappropriate to obtain your consent, and in those cases, we may collect, use or disclose your information without your consent. For example:
- if it is clearly in your interests (such as a medical emergency or a threat to your safety);
- to comply with a warrant or other court order;
- to collect a debt;
- to investigate the breach of an agreement or applicable law; or
- as otherwise legally required or allowed.
Painted Lemur may imply your consent if it is reasonable in the circumstances. We may ask for your express consent when our collection, use or disclosure of Personal Information is more sensitive or not necessarily expected.
An example of implied and express consent: When you sign up for a paid Service, we rely on implied consent to track your service usage for the purpose of billing you. However, we would request your express consent before we would use your Personal Information to enable individual location-based marketing for a third-party (unless you have already provided such consent to the third-party).
Painted Lemur may de-identify your Personal Information so that you cannot be identified as an individual, and use that de-identified information to improve our operations, to provide social benefits (such as assisting municipalities with traffic planning) and to develop analytic marketing reports for our use and for the use of our partners.
Collection, Use, and Disclosure of Your Personal Information
Painted Lemur may collect Personal Information for many purposes, including but not limited to:
- when you provide your Personal Information, during the inquiry, activation or purchase process for a product or service;
- when we provide service to our customers, including technical support or during the warranty, repair claims and service process;
- from third-parties, such as credit reporting agencies, or other third-parties with whom you have had a payment relationship.
Painted Lemur uses your Personal Information to provide you with our products or services. We may also use your Personal Information to:
- establish and maintain responsible commercial relations with you and to provide ongoing service;
- try to understand the needs and preferences of our Customers, and determine your eligibility for products and services;
- recommend products and services to meet your needs;
- develop, enhance, market or provide products and services;
- manage and develop business operations; or
- meet our legal and regulatory requirements.
Where necessary, we will request your further consent before using your Personal Information for any new purpose(s) beyond those described above.
Painted Lemur may disclose some of your Personal Information in a variety of circumstances, such as when we have your express or implied consent. Your Personal Information may also be shared among the Companies and brands. We may also disclose your Personal Information:
- to a person acting as your agent (such as a legal representative or authorized user) if we are reasonably satisfied that the person is authorized to receive your Personal Information;
- to our suppliers and authorized agents who assist with activities such as service installation or site maintenance, subject to strict security safeguards;
- to third-party collection agencies for the purpose of collecting amounts owed to us which are past due;
- to third-parties ,such as credit reporting agencies or anyone you have had a payment relationship with,to assess creditworthiness or assist with the collection of amounts owed to us which are past due and delivery organizations to ship you products and/or services you have ordered;
- to a government institution or another organization if reasonably necessary to establish your identity or to investigate the contravention of a law or an agreement or to prevent fraud;
- to an appropriate public authority in an emergency situation where there is imminent danger to life or property;
- as you have otherwise given us, or a third-party (like a financial institution, government agency, social media or other on-line site) your consent to do so; or
- as otherwise allowed or required by law.
Where necessary, we will request your further consent before disclosing your Personal Information for any new purpose(s) beyond those described above.
We place cookies that identify you, or allow third parties to do so on our behalf, for the following purposes:
- to recognize you automatically when you return to any of our web sites or online offerings or registration pages.
- to understand your interests in content, both our own content and that of other companies, on or across Painted Lemur Sites.
- to control access to gated online events including webinars and virtual events.
- to make an automated record of your interests within a virtual event.
- to manage and follow up on email campaigns.
You may use the tools in your browser to decline, disable, or delete any cookies.
You may choose to be recognized automatically when you visit any Painted Lemur Site or access any co-branded or sponsored content or opportunity, for example, a webinar. If you do not enable the automatic recognition cookie, or block it after you have allowed it, you will simply be asked to log in or register on every site and as you access or register to attend any co-branded or sponsored offering.
You must accept the session cookie used to manage access to registration-only Services for the duration of your subscription to such Services.
Third party Advertising Cookies
Some companies may offer additional choices about your preferences. Please visit each of their web sites for more information about the technologies they use and their privacy practices.
We may add or change the list of Third Party Advertisers from time to time. We urge you to check this section for changes regularly.
Withdrawing Your Consent
You can withdraw your consent, or opt-out, of the collection, use or disclosure of your Personal Information in certain situations. For example, where you have provided express consent for the use of specific wireless location information for marketing purposes, you can opt-out later if you wish.
Similarly, you can opt-out of your Personal Information being used for a variety of marketing communications by us, including telemarketing or addressed marketing mail, or commercial electronic messages like emails and SMS messages. But where your Personal Information is reasonably necessary to provide you with the services you requested or the operation of our network, you cannot continue to use the services and opt-out of the collection, use and disclosure of your Personal Information because it is a condition of service. To stop the collection, use and disclosure of your Personal Information in these circumstances, you must terminate your use of the services.
Accuracy and Safeguarding of Your Personal Information
In order to learn more about your Personal Information and if it is accurate you can contact Painted Lemur directly. We will give you the opportunity to review the Personal Information in your file, subject to certain restrictions and exceptions, within a reasonable time after receiving a request in writing from you. If we cannot provide you with access to your Personal Information (for example, if it would involve the disclosure of someone else’s Personal Information or other confidential or privileged information), then we will advise you of the reason why. Our goal is to keep the Personal Information we hold about you accurate, up-to-date and complete. If you find an inaccuracy, let us know and we will correct it.
Your Personal Information may be transferred, stored or processed outside of Canada. Your Personal Information is only provided to our suppliers and authorized agents operating outside of Canada in accordance with safeguards no less rigorous than those that we apply in Canada. Personal Information processed outside of Canada may only be used by such third parties for the purposes we set. In such cases, however, your Personal Information may be subject to the legal jurisdiction of foreign countries.
Your Personal Information is kept only as long as is reasonably necessary or relevant for the identified purposes or as required by law. Once Personal Information is no longer reasonably necessary or relevant for the identified purposes, or required by law to be retained, your Personal Information is destroyed, erased or de-identified.
Changes, Questions and Contact Information
Painted Lemur designed our privacy practices to comply with applicable Canadian Federal, provincial and territorial laws, including the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act regarding confidential information.
Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada
30 Victoria Street Gatineau, Quebec K1A 1H3